Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No more FB

Its not you, its me.

Recently I have been observing in my own life that I interact with people less and less on a real level and it has been reduced to electronic communication. This is largely my fault because I hate talking on the phone. I would rather email, text, or have my husband call than talk on the phone. I also hate voicemail. I hate calling that thing and listening to messages and then being obligated to call people back. So I put off listening to it until my inbox is ridiculously full.

I also realized that when we didn't have internet for a couple of days during our move, I really liked it. I didn't miss checking facebook statuses. Nothing is really happening online anyway. Real life is happening all around me. It happens with my son playing. It happens when I am forced to talk to people instead of communicate online. We went more places. We did more things. Nathan and I talked more and cuddled while watching a movie on our portable dvd player (no tv either) rather then seperately getting on our laptops. I LOVED it.

I realized I need to challenge myself more to get offline and interact with real people. I think this would do a great deal more for the loneliness factor I face, and lots of stay-at-home moms face when they don't have a job and are forced to interact with people every day. The problem is, I am comfortable. Because I am "connected" on facebook I can trick myself into believing that I have real friendships and real relationships when in reality, I don't. Just because I read someone's status update, doesn't mean I have any clue about what is really going on in their lives and in their hearts. Just like most people don't really have any idea with what is going on with me. So, I shall quit facebook for now.

I really will miss keeping up with out of state friends, so if that is you, I am sorry! Please email me or call me with your updates. I will answer the phone, or even call you back. Promise. If you are in Orlando, call me. Lets make a real live interaction date.

Just know, its not you, its me.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Post. The reasons you articulated are exactly why Emilie doesn't have a facebook and the reason why we don't even have a text messaging plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very admirable, Beth! I hope you keep blogging though - I wish I could write as honestly as you do. Hopefully we'll be living back in FL eventually, and we can have one of those live interaction dates. :) Rebekah

    ReplyDelete